Our room after we scrubbed down all the walls and at least got enough dirt off the floor so you could see it. These narrow rooms make it hard to arrange two beds and divide up the room. I am sure over time we will develop some sort of organization. Rasor is taking a nap - we are all still adjusting to the time change.
Nice little dog kennel you have yourselves there. I guess no windows allows you to sleep at anytime.
ReplyDeleteIt does help. We actually have one window by the door but it has those nice rouladen blinds that can block all light. What it doesn't block is the noise and we found out the first night that since we are the last room on our row it is a congregation point outside our door as people wait for rides to work. I have started wearing earplugs to bed and that makes a big difference. Plus it helps when my roommate wakes up at 3AM to go to the bathroom :)
DeleteSara noticed the room dimensions...I am focused on the great purple (or is it black?) flowered mattresses. Wow!! Are you going for posters on the walls? You had good stuff in Iraq.
ReplyDeleteThat mattress is actually the best I have ever had in the military :). It is a source of envy since most everyone else has the thin white mattress you see in the back. Rasor took the back of the room so I figured I would take the good mattress. As for posters I only have the one Andrew gave me for Christmas of our Denali trip in 07. It is a much different mindset only staying for six months - I don't want to get too comfortable.
DeleteIn my more informed state I think I have answered another one of my questions about your freedom to move outside base (except up (: I am now thinking absolutely not. I would imagine some "this is our base" shots with perspective and there aren't any. Who carries weapons? All U.S. guys? Are Afghan troops allowed base access? When you walk to the coffee shop are you armed? Body armor?
ReplyDeleteYou are correct about me not leaving base except up. I do have overhead pictures that give perspective but also way too much information to those who like to launch mortars on us so those pictures will have to wait. All NATO troops carry weapons and some of the Afghan troops I have seen do. There are actually very few Afghan troops on this base (at least that I have seen). Most of them are out on the smaller bases doing patrols. We do carry our weapons everywhere except when going to the gym. No body armor yet and I really hope it doesn't come to that - very uncomfortable.
Delete