Wednesday, February 8, 2012

4 Feb

Well I am back at it. I really should journal at times other than deployments. There are actually a lot of other times in my life that I would rather remember but deployments have two critical things going for them - a beginning an (most importantly for someone who doesn't really like to write) an end. This deployment is rather unexpected as the great attraction of the unit I am in is that they don't deploy. We heard about this mission when the Texas unit signed up for it last year but it was supposed to be a six month trial run on some new equipment then it was done. The problem is the equipment worked really well and the ground commanders didn't want to lose it so the search went out for more c-12 pilots and they found us. It's only six of us but if you are one of the six I guess it doesn't really matter how many there are. We found out a week before Christmas that we were leaving the first part of February. The good thing is the mission is only for six months and after a couple of year tours six months seems much better. The bad part is it is going to be most of the summer. I am really going to miss deck time with Wendi. The last month has pretty much been taken up with preparation and taking time off to spend with family. It has been different not deploying with a whole unit, a lot more disorganized but much quicker to get things done.  Yesterday was my last day at home and it was a very enjoyable day. It was one of the nicest days we have had in months - clear skies and low 60s. After a leisurely morning watching the sun rise on the Olympics we went for a bike ride around Black Diamond and down the Green River. After lunch we went for a walk then watched a Sherlock Holmes episode after dinner - all around a good day:).  My flight took off around 11:30PM and I am just now arriving in Columbus GA. We are down here for a week of classes and processing before we head to Afghanistan. These next few months are going to be interesting but Wendi and I know God is in control so there isn't much to worry about. I will try to post on a regular basis, please feel free to ask any questions and I will answer them to the best of my ability (or at least tell you why I can't answer them :).

2 comments:

  1. Thank you very much for your patient willingness to explain..and explain...and explain again. I am interested as is most everyone I know and am pleased that you take the time and energy to tell us about your deployed life. (:

    ReplyDelete
  2. My pleasure :) Thanks for all your questions - they certainly add to my enjoyment and I am sure enhance the understanding of others.

    ReplyDelete