Saturday, February 25, 2012


Here is a better look down the length of the rooms. Across the road at the far end is another pod just like this one. Just to the left of the other end is the coffee shop I have visited most days.

4 comments:

  1. Can you comment on who provides coffee shop people? what about laundry? cleaning? what security procedures do base employees (if there are any) have to go through? what about a mess hall? food as plentiful and fat as Iraq? Celebrations? I am imagining more austere. (:

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can comment but I don't know how authoritatively. From what I can tell most of the coffee shop people and dinning hall workers are from India. The laundry and cleaning people are a mixture of Indian and far eastern nationalities. I have no idea what security clearance procedures they have to go through. I see very few Afghanis on base but there are a lot of support people that I don't see. I think a lot of the supply truck drivers are local because they are having problems getting enough drivers after the events of the last couple of weeks. The food isn't as good as Iraq but I will address that in a future post :). Things are a little more austere here because of the difficulty getting supplies into country, but we still get steak and shrimp on Fridays :).

      Delete
  2. I am hoping your steak is grass-fed from Idaho and your shrimp from the American gulf coast. Both very unlikely. (: So far, I like your menu. (:

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would agree that both are unlikely :) but it does raise an interesting question as to where the food comes from. It's all contractor supplied but whether or not the government stipulates sourcing I don't know. Even though we are supposed to stand for free enterprise so much of that becomes political - such as purchasing berets from China :). All things being equal I would imagine the shrimp comes from SE Asia and the beef from India but that is just a guess.

      Delete