The trip to Kuwait was actually not too bad. It was 7 1/2 hours to Ireland, a three hour stop for refuel and crew change then 6 1/2 hours to Kuwait but I had a row of three seats to myself so I was able to sleep some. The painful part was all the normal waiting in Kuwait - for the bags to be unloaded, for the police escorts, for the multiple briefings and finally the wait to get assigned a tent. It was 5 1/2 hours after we landed before I was able to unload my bags in the tents. It's hard to believe that it has been 3 1/2 years since I left - everything was just the same except the location of the dinning hall has moved to make it interesting. We weren't scheduled to leave until the following evening so the next day was spent catching up on sleep, repacking our bags and wandering around the camp. The flight up to Afghanistan was uneventful and we arrived about 2am. We signed for our rooms, met our new battalion commander in the coffee shop and got to bed at 4:30am. We were up at noon to start in processing and spent the rest of the day on a short tour of the base and organizing our rooms. It is the same style of room I had last time in Iraq but this time I am sharing it with our commander. A little different dynamic but it's only for six months :). I'm looking forward to actually starting our mission. We start the ground training tomorrow and should start flying in three days. It's good to finally be here and get the count down started.
Clear H55 L34
Ps Sara, I have tried for three days to reply to your comment but for some reason I can't get it to go through so here it is a little dated :) - The time in Georgia was about what I expected based on the training we had to do. The concern was getting stuck there because we didn't have permission to enter theater. It looks like we will be stationed in Khandahar for our entire mission. We may visit other bases but it is unlikely. Right now I am sitting in Kuwait waiting for our next flight. The wind is howling and dust is in everything - it's like I never left :).
David, thanks for inviting me to your blog. I enjoyed reading your updates and I am glad the countdown has begun! Ty
ReplyDeleteThere is nothing like getting started :). I hope I will be able to find new things to write about. I can already see our mission is going to keep us busy but a lot of the same routine. I might have to branch out and report on all the NATO troops hanging out around here. Take care and enjoy those bike rides for me.
ReplyDeleteBunking with the commander a definite plus for him...you must be tidy and courteous and never snore. At least that's the kind of room mate I would pick if I were picking (: As for your Kuwait statement "it's like I never left". Probably not the sigh of love and longing to finally see the old folks homestead.. (: Sorry! All news from you is good news to us and even interesting. "Ate this for breakfast..woke up at"...perfectly acceptable!!
ReplyDeleteAbout Kuwait...it is hard to imagine an American presence for so long without Things To Buy. I mean local things. Are there shops where the troops have opportunity to purchase local things? Take home stuff? I am just trying to imagine this place. Is Kuwait security very tight? No locals around at all? I think my questions are clueless so you don't have to try to answer them as I have phrased. Just more words about Kuwait please (:
ReplyDeletewhy does the blog care if I am a robot? Robot proof words fascinating. I could imagine a new language.
ReplyDeletecheerful group. You all look healthy and competent. Well fed. (:
ReplyDelete