Sunday, July 8, 2012


I had to include this one as this is my usual view of my roommate until about 2PM.  The man can truly sleep and I am more than a little envious.


I think these will be my last cloud pictures.  From what I hear it is pretty rare to see any clouds over the next couple of months.  These pictures were taken on the same day but two different missions. Our first mission we were dodging the clouds in the pictures below and we had to fly around the big cloud on the horizon to get to our second mission where this picture was taken.


Our orbit kept us just outside this cloud and we were there long enough to see it build and then collapse over about a three hour period.


This is the same cloud at about its peak buildup. After that the sun started going down and the drop in temperature took the energy out of it.

4 comments:

  1. Wow! Must be fascinating to watch cloud development up close. I esp. like to watch those BIG thunder heads develop.I understand they can be pretty hairy for fliers! Did you ever tangle with one? We had a couple of cells go through yesterday & today. Not much rain but no fires that I have heard of. Had lunch w/Sara in WW today. Said Steve is on his first!! fire down in SE OR. somewhere.
    Glad to hear that the US Military is not chaotic like some I read abt. Maybe the volunteer army & better tng. makes a diff. I'll send you my Seal book when I finish. He complained about being "jacked" around by vindictive higher officers, but he wasn't a very nice man either (~:{ He was in during Contras, Granada, Beirut.
    Hear it popping outside, but we are going to try the deck for dinner. Love, ART

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is fun to watch the clouds but no we don't mess around with them. With the big buildups we stay miles away because they can reach out and touch you. A lot of times when planes are hit by lightning they are outside of the clouds. It's good to hear that Steve is on a fire - it has been pretty active year from what I hear.
      I think the volunteer military and training makes a difference - it eliminates a lot of the personal problems that otherwise can affect decisions.

      Delete
  2. We had an amazing thunderstorm come through town last week (at least by NW standards...Jen says it was just average for midwest standards). Lightening everywhere, brief torrents of rain, thunder, etc. Some of my fondest memories are watching storms - amazing power. Even started a few fires and struck a few trees/houses in the area.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm with you - that is one of the things I missed in Alaska. At least in Fairbanks thunderstorms are pretty rare. We have had a couple here with one good one right over the airfield. Most of the really impressive ones are over the mountains to the north or south of us.

      Delete