Sunday, July 1, 2012
A few more pictures of the area to the northwest of us. It's always entertaining to go up there because we get to work with the Italians. They are rather amusing on the radio and we always get a chow, chow at the end.
They definitely have some rugged country up there and the villages are even more concentrated along just a couple of the bigger valleys.
This area was interesting - if you enlarge the picture you can see all the little trees evenly scattered across the hills.
Just off the left hand side of the picture is one of the towns in the area. Any kind of travel in this country has to be laborious.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Evidently you made it to "midnight" chow.(~:} The photo of the spaced trees gives me a good idea of how dry it must be in those hill. In AZ, when we visited my dad, it was interesting to see how evenly spaced the veg. was. You could almost measure the moisture by the distance apart the plants were.
ReplyDeleteDo the Ita. go out on patrol? I understand the Ger. only do "good" projects - no fighting for any reason.
I think you are exactly right about the spacing vs. moisture. I was fascinated by how even it ll was. The Italians do go on patrols but they are in a relatively quiet area so we don't get tasked up there often.
Delete(: If you were Italian you would spell that "Hi" or "See you" greeting "ciao". Who could know this? I have NO idea but it is in the dictionary as "international"
ReplyDeleteBelieve it or not I actually did know that because that is how Wendi signs off from our Skype sessions. I type chow and she responds ciao then we know the conversation is over :)
DeleteMaybe you know this...if Afghanistan were more tranquil, would people with money and strong arms and legs come here there to climb those mountains? Or are they not that high even tho impressive? And they ARE impressive! Once again, thank you so much for the pictures.
ReplyDeleteThey are high but not the level to attract climbers - to much trouble and not enough reward even if there was peace. What you might have is backpackers and hikers because there is some beautiful country up north.
Delete