Friday, May 25, 2012


A few pictures I took on a mission we did up in the mountains a couple of weeks ago. We had to fly much lower than usual due to the weather so I was able to get some closer ground pictures. We could actually see the Chinooks coming in to pick up the ground guys. You notice that every possible area is cultivated. If it isn't solid rock there is something green on it.



This is looking out of the mountains towards the large valley that leads from Kabul to Kandahar. My camer still struggles to get good pictures but I like the colors on this one.


This is a little farther down the mountain slopes and you can see every drainage is farmed.


In this one I was trying to get some of the rock formations as we flew over the ridgeline. You can see the folds in the layers under the prop.



This is looking to the northwest back into the mountains.  You can see the little bit of snow still left on the peaks. This picture really reminded me of flying in Alaska.

8 comments:

  1. Wonder photos! Do you think it is only because of no soil or does amt. of moisture have anything to do with areas being cultivated. On Prince of Wales Is. (where Mike & Alice were) the soil is very thin over rock but it all has veg. on it!
    The geology looks very interesting. I've read recently that mining co. are anxious to see the country settle down. Lots of good areas for possible mineral deposits. What have you heard?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think it is both - they have no electricity so they can't transport the water very far which is why they stick to the drainages and in that country there is almost no soil on the slopes when you get away from the creek bottoms. I do think the bigger problem is water - up north where they have more they terrace the land to get more growing area.
      As for the mining there is a lot of interest, mostly from China. But the few projects that have been started are so hampered by security concerns that things will have to change quite a bit before you see anything large scale. And as always transportation will be a limiting factor for the foreseeable future.

      Delete
  2. In the areas you have photographed, I am assuming, with reference to your no water and no electricity, that what is grown is not for market on any scale but only for home consumption. Any idea what is grown? What vegetables do people eat?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They actually have a lot of fruit trees and grapes. As for the vegetables I know they grow lots of cucumbers, tomatoes, carrots, eggplant, and lettuce and I am sure a lot more. You are correct in that while farming down here in the valley is taken to market up in the hills it is much more a subsistence lifestyle. Afghanistan did have its first apple export last year.

      Delete
  3. I love these mountain pictures. I am also hoping for skilled pilots and good weather and well-maintained craft so that going down in these mountains is a remote possibility (:

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for vegetable, growing comments. Cooking with, what do you think? Charcoal? Oil? Are grapes made into wine? Know Muslms officially do not drink...but?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I did a little research and I can't find a reference on what they use for cooking. I know it is not electricity since only about 8% of the country has it and that intermittently. I would assume oil just because they have lots of left over cooking oil cans that are used to store bomb making material or so we are told. As for the grapes for the most part they are observant Muslims so the grapes are used for juice or dried as raisins. I actually noticed on my flight today lots of wheat fields that are almost ready to harvest. I wasn't aware of them as much until their color changed.

      Delete