Wednesday, May 2, 2012

1 May

Another month begins.  If all goes as planned we only have three more after this one.  Things are looking more promising for our on time departure.  The training dates for the new guys are set, now we just need names.  Once again there was too much of a delay to call up any state flight detachments so OSAA is going to fill the slots.  A list was compiled based on the last time people deployed but then the decision was made to ask for volunteers and now the list is down to two names.  I am still getting used to the National Guard and their reliance on volunteers.  I am more familiar with the regular Army where you volunteered once and that was when you signed up.  I can understand the reasons but it does make planning and forecasting much more difficult and last minute. 
The only big news here (and it isn’t that big) is that three days ago I shifted to the afternoon schedule.  We had been talking about it for a while but the actual change came when I walked out to head into work and Nance said he was flying for me and I was flying in the afternoon.  It has taken a couple of days to get my body switched around but I think it will be worth it.  My roommate (the commander) has meetings during the day that he has to go to. Even though he wouldn’t fly on the days he had meetings he was still up in the middle of the time he should have been sleeping.  As a result his sleep schedule was all messed up which sorely affected my sleep.  I am going to miss the nights – it is a lot cooler and there are a lot less people running around.  We may switch again later in the summer when the commander leaves and I get a new roommate.
Everything is pretty routine with our missions.  We did have a problem with one of the pods and the crew couldn’t complete the mission. Our pod mechanic mentioned something about wires arching and that got taken out of context and turned into the crisis of the week. At the same time I got thrown under the bus so to speak for the report I sent out about the problem.  But all that is past and we await the next one.

Clear  H83  L56

4 comments:

  1. I like your "crisis" comments. I think I have told you of one of my responses too a SO induced "crisis". Cost me 3 months delay in a promotion. Seems my response to the Ranger & my boss was given at to high a decibel range or maybe it was the office door slam )~:}. Sigh! Glad you are able to ride your "crises" out with a calmer attitude. Cheers!! DAD

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It helps if you room with your immediate boss and have limited to no contact with anyone above him. Keeps me out of trouble :)

      Delete
  2. Sorry you are the troublemaker of the outfit. (: Thanks for going under the bus with dignity. No squawks or squeals. (:

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do seem to be causing my share of the problems :). I did squeal a little on this one but since it made someone else look good at my expense and the person I looked bad to has no impact on my career and I have never met I figured I could let this one go :). Just my pride was hurt and I have more than enough of that.

      Delete