Saturday, April 7, 2012
This is some of the country I was talking about in my previous post. Very rugged with just a few settlements along the waterways.
It's hard to see the houses with my limited camera but you can see the green irrigated fields along the river bank. These braided streams remind me of the rivers in Alaska. They obviously carry a lot of sediment and change channels yearly.
This is looking north towards the central high plains of Afghanistan. There is still a little bit of snow left on some of the distant ridges tops. The elevation there is around 11-12000'.
This is Fackel - one of our new EWOs doing his work. They are the actuall mission guys - we just get them where they need to be.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Sent you a comment the other day but forgot to "publish" - Sigh! I see the green along the rivers so there must be water in them sometime. How come no damns for flood control & esp. irrigation? And from the looks of some of the valleys you could get some deep lakes w/out a really large damn. I'm impressed at the elevations. I forget it is part of the Himalayan uplift. Tks again for the picts. DAD
ReplyDeleteI think you did publish it just under the entry below and not in the pictures entry. If you look down there you will see my answers (as limited as they are). One thing I didn't mention about the irrigation is that they also drill wells here. I don't know how deep the water table is but that is one of the community improvement projects that gets consistent funding over here.
ReplyDelete