Here is a couple of pictures of a different area than my previous post but they more clearly show the mud walled houses and the family compounds that line the water ways (you can click on the pictures to enlarge them).
There are dirt tracks that connect the different settlements but for the most part they are very isolated. You can see why it is a constant exercise in frustration to find individuals and equipment. If you don't have the support of the population it is almost impossible.
Oh thank you for these shots!!! I really wanted to see closer. Now I can imagine walking down the road...scuffing the dust. Elevation? These houses; not you. Or maybe your elevation too if that is allowed. Is the green fields? Trees? I am no good in from the air perspective. Are "waterways" natural creeks or canals? Are houses walled like they were in Taiwan? I mean surrounded by high walls. As protection. By finding "individuals and equipment" do you mean Americans lost or in need of rescue from enemy soldiers...or non-soldiers...?
ReplyDeleteThese house were around 5000' elevation but the style is pretty much the same regardless of elevation - at least in the areas I have seen. I can't say what the green is here but around our base there are a lot of orchards mixed with vineyards and vegetables. I am amazed at how green it has gotten around here. It is far enough away that I can't get a good picture but I will keep trying :). I haven't been low enough to actually see the canals but based on the field design they are there (and I have seen pictures of troops crossing them :). They are high walled and for the same reason plus providing privacy for the women of the family.
DeleteBy finding people I was thinking of enemy but they are still looking for one soldier that was taken I think over six years ago and they believe he is still alive.
God pics. Can really see the walls. Look like mini castles or forts. Saw in Archaeology mag. once old ruins (300 BC) in eastern Iran close to the Afgan border that looked just like these from the air.
ReplyDeleteI hope to get some closer ones in the future but usually at that point we are either taking off or landing and I am a little busier :). I imagine they haven't changed much if any from those ruins - it's a design that fits the environment so no reason to change until you can control the environment (ie A/C).
Delete