Sunday, March 4, 2012


This is looking east towards Pakistan from above the airfield. Off in the distance is one of the main supply roads coming into Afghanistan. You can't see it very well during the day but at night there is a long string of lights as far as you can see.


This picture shows the distinct line of the Red Desert that begins just south of the airfield and goes all the way into Iran. There is a river that creates the boundary and on the desert side is a 30-40 foot cliff - quite dramtic.


Here is another picture looking right down on the dividing line.

3 comments:

  1. Thanks for the photos and updates. Love reading it. The desert is so dramatic - it really is beautiful, although I don't know that I would want to live in one. Today was a true spring day - 65 degrees, but will be getting cold again...maybe that is why the desert seems so appealing. Only 1 1/2 weeks until we go to Mexico though. You are in our prayers. - Andrew

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The desert landscape is fascinating - at least from the air. It is hard to see from the photos but it looks like it is hard ground sculpted by the wind rather than loose dunes. You can see little scrub trees on it but unfortunately I doubt I will get a chance to see it any closer. I guess it did get cold there again - Wendi said there was snow on the ground at home yesterday :) Thanks for the prayers - they are always appreciated. Enjoy Mexico and I will suck up some dust here for you in case you don't get enough down there :)

      Delete
  2. Loved seeing this!!! I am totally a space person!! As in lots of it to look at and stand in (:

    ReplyDelete