Sunday, March 4, 2012
3 Mar
The mission is officially ours as of 28 Feb. the other guys left on the 29th and they are the only ones happier to be gone than we are to have them gone. They did a very good job setting everything up for us and making sure we knew the mission but two teams is one too many. You don't really learn things until you get a chance to try it on your own. We have some continuity also because the EWOs (electronic warfare officers) in the back don't rotate out for another couple of weeks and they handle a lot of the mission coordination for us. They are the ones actually talking to the customer and making sure the missions flow through the proper channels. That has been a point of contention lately because RC South took control of us last week but they are struggling to keep up with the missions. It has been a learning experience all the way around.
We have come in right at the beginning of the dust season. The last couple of nights our missions have been cancelled due to poor visibility - last night it was by the customer and tonight by us. I hate having to cancel missions and it just so happened that this time the weather unexpectedly improved but the decision had already been made. I am now completely reversed out - I went to bed at 7AM and got up at 3PM. It looks like I will stay on this schedule for about a month then switch to the earlier mission. I do enjoy the night shift but my tendency is to go to bed late and get up early - not a good long term strategy. Not having a roommate would also make it easier but so far we are getting along alright.
I have been able to do a little exploring lately and the best thing I have found is the NATO gym. It's as nice as some you would find in the States and you have to bring a clean pair of shoes to wear inside which really helps to control the dirt. There is a US gym about a block away but it has the well deserved nickname of the Prison Gym. I haven't been able to get to the gym much but I have to develop a routine soon so Wendi doesn't shame me on our bike rides when I get back :).
Dust H57 L40
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
I am thinking that "about a block away" is on the base?? It is hard to imagine you strolling down the street of...wherever with your exercise bag in one hand and AK-47 in the other. No, I don't think you actually have an AK-47 issued to you, but my weapon knowledge is limited (: I am doing these posts backwards so maybe you describe your physical circumstances in earlier posts.. I'll check it out (:
ReplyDeleteUnless I am in a very unfortunate set of circumstances every building I visit will be on base :) I have a bike over here that I am borrowing from the airplane maintenance guys so I either take it or drive over to the gym if one of our vans are available. It is only about a 15 minute walk but I really do not like walking - especially along these roads where you are constantly in a could of dust from passing traffic.
DeleteGreat you have a gym. That makes me feel somewhat better about your necessary restrictions. Kind of prison-like.
ReplyDeleteIt is kind of prison like :). But I certainly can't complain - I get to at least leave base on a regular basis (even if it is in the air). I have always felt for the guys that come over for a year and never set foot outside the wire. I would have a hard time contemplating a life sentence in prison :)
Delete