Tuesday, March 13, 2012


This is looking north towards Kabul and the boundary between the central highlands on the west and the Hindu Kush to the north and east.


It is a little hard to see unless you enlarge the picture but this is one of the little FOBs (forward operating base) located along Highway 1- some pretty remote living.


Here you are looking northeast towards Pakistan as the sun is setting.

7 comments:

  1. i have a weather dis-connect....it IS winter, isn't it??! I have spent the day looking at daffodils. (: What is your daytime walking around temp?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is winter - or I guess spring in a week or so. We are about the same latitude as central California but up north the elevations climb rapidly. The valley floor below us is at an altitude of about 8000'.

      Delete
  2. Are your missions still at a standstill?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No - I have just been slow in updating :) It was only a couple of days before we were back in business. These kind of incidents can change things at a strategic level but it takes awhile before the effects trickle down and significantly change our daily operations.

      Delete
  3. A general remark: Thank you for responding to questions. Takes your time and energy, but I am very interested (and grateful)

    ReplyDelete
  4. From what you can see from the air, are these very mountainous regions mostly un-inhabited?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am way too high to tell but from what I have heard they are mostly uninhibited but there are small villages in the valleys. The places I have seen with houses are surprising that anyone can survive there. It reminds me of the places we saw in the Sinai - no visible way of surviving but somehow they do.

      Delete