This first photo is a picture taken from above the base and showing the surrounding countryside. Pretty brown now but from what I hear it will turn green in a few weeks with all the poppie fields. Contrast with the picture below.
This is taken just a 30 minute flight to the north. It's about 4000' higher and still locked in winter. You can faintly see a road going up the right side of the valley. This is Highway 1 - the main route through Afghanistan that links Kabul and Bagram and Khandahar. You are looking north up towards Kabul.
about the highway system...is there one? Or, like Alaska with 3 main highways (I think I remember this correctly) is Hwy.#1 pretty much it?
ReplyDeleteFrom what I know highway 1 is pretty much it. They are in the process of building up the road through Kyber pass but it is a work in progress. Infrastucture projects have been a struggle over here. I can't remember the details but I read an article about the investigation that is going on into the highway construction money in particular - lots of contracts, lots of money and not a lot to show for it.
ReplyDeleteFor what it is worth, my mom's brother was stationed in the Kyber Pass during WWII. (: He was not happy.
ReplyDeleteThat is really interesting - I had no idea we had troops stationed there. Aside from a historical interest I can imagine it would not be a nice place to hang out. There are many reasons it has never been a tourist destination:).
ReplyDeleteAre all poppies used for drugs? No flower shops? (: Do you get lectures on drug use? Or the avoidance of? Or is there so little interaction with locals on any level that this is not a problem.
ReplyDeleteI imagine there are flower shops but none on base :). We get our standard lecture but nothing special for coming over here. Like anywhere else drugs are available with or without interaction with the locals. I haven't read any statistics but I know they have problems with it over here. That group from Ft. Lewis accused of shooting the civilians two years ago were using hashish. I think people feel like they can get away with over here because most units don't do the regular drug testing that they do back in the states. When our unit did a surprise drug test in '05 seven people were caught - a much higher number than we ever had back home.
ReplyDelete